Not Your Standard Obstacle Course, Tough Mudder!

This wasn’t your average obstacle course, oh no! Think plunging under ice water, crawling through rock laden muddy tunnels, and wading through a river. Oh and let’s not forget all those electric shocks! These were just a few of the obstacles I had to complete, but I can happily say that I DID complete it.
Tough Mudder is a team event but I did it on my own. Originally I was doing the South London Tough Mudder in a team of 10 but one by one everyone dropped out until I was left by myself. It wasn’t even my idea in the first place and here I was, doing it solo!

I’ve already completely 3 half-marathons and am a very keen runner so I made a 12 week training plan. It consisted mostly of running but also strength training and yoga. The obstacles remained mostly unknown so I tried to mix it up. Yoga is amazing because I have really tight hips and as a result, my hips are feeling fine. I damaged my hip during the Cardiff half marathon last October. This left me having to see a physio and unable to run until February. However, no amount of training could have prepared me for Tough Mudder!
The ‘Artic Enema’ was scarier than skydiving. Jumping into deep, ice-filled water then swimming underneath a skip in the pitch black. When I emerged I could barely breath it was so cold. Falling from monkey bars into deep cold water shortly after felt almost tropical in comparison.

A well deserved bath after obstacle course
A well deserved bath

Even if running and army style obstacles aren’t your thing, I would really suggest a challenging obstacle course. The sense of achievement after is almost overwhelming. Scaling 8 foot walls and greased-up half pipes required teamwork.  Seriously, check it out.  Tough Mudder takes place all over the world and supports Help The Heroes.

What have you done that fills you with pride?  Would you or have you ever done a similar event?

Bloglovin’ | Twitter |
Instagram |

15 thoughts on “Not Your Standard Obstacle Course, Tough Mudder!

• September 29, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Helen, you are tough. And kudos to you for completing this all alone. I have never done anything like this and not sure if I could. Swimming in the dark – not something I think I would enjoy.

• September 30, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Thanks. I appreciate all your comments. The whole team spirit of the event made it very enjoyable so whilst you may not be thinking "ooh swimming in ice water sounds fun", the sense of achievement after makes it so worth it.

It's definitely a team event and you can do it if you put your mind to it. On YouTube there are videos of people doing all the obstacles with missing limbs and a few weeks ago a lady did it in a wheelchair. Truly inspirational!

• September 30, 2013 at 3:15 pm

I will check out the Youtube videos. Thanks.
      And maybe I might also gather some courage and do this someday.

• October 2, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Wow! Tough surely is an understatement?! Congratulations for completing it; what an achievement. We would love to try an event like this!

Great post; thanks for sharing.

x Roch & Tash x

• October 6, 2013 at 6:55 pm

It was the most grueling thing I've ever, ever done and can't wait to do it again. You should look into it. There are loads of similar ones too like Warrior Adrenaline Race and Mud Runner.

• October 6, 2013 at 6:31 pm

That sounds incredible. Well done you for finishing it! I'm gonna look into it and maybe try..
    Adela x

Misspinkstyle.net

• October 6, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Thank you ^^ I'm very proud. Like I said in another reply, there are loads of similar events such as Warrior Adrenaline Race, Mud Runner and Tough Guy. Do it do it do it! The sense of achievement after is incredible.

• October 7, 2013 at 6:05 pm

I only found out about Tough Mudder a few months ago and I'd love to do it! I'm not a fan of running but i like the idea of the obstacles. However that ice pool sounds awful, i hate being underwater, argh!! I think I'd need to do it a team for the moral support, well done you! xx

• October 7, 2013 at 9:30 pm

There are loads of similar events. Zest magazine do an annual 'zest girls bog adventure' a nice obstacle race that's only a few miles and not quite as extreme but still a fun team event.

• October 8, 2013 at 3:53 pm

WOAH. This is incredible! I'd heard of Tough Mudder but was never really sure what it entailed.
    What an achievement, congratulations!!!
    Rosie x | Every Word Handwritten

• October 10, 2013 at 10:29 pm

There are very few feelings better than a bubble bath after a lot of exercise!

• Pingback:Spa Day at The Malvern Spa & Hotel - Review » Tea in the Tub