Tough Mudder!

A bit of a different post today.  Last Saturday I did Tough Mudder at Glanusk Estate in beautiful Wales. It was a 11.5 mile multi-terrain obstacle course and like the name of the race suggests, it was tough! I have the cuts, bruises and damaged foot bones to prove it.
Donate your muddy shoes here
Donate your muddy shoes here
They weren’t any kind of obstacles, on no.  No simple climbing nets for me.  Think plunging under ice water, crawling through rock laden muddy tunnels, lots of electric shocks and wading through a river. These were just a few of the obstacles I had to complete, but I can happily say that I DID complete it.
Tough Mudder is a team event but I did it on my own.  Originally I was doing the South London Tough Mudder in a team of 10 but one by one everyone dropped out until it was just me left all by myself. It wasn’t even my idea in the first place and here I was, doing it solo!

I’ve already completely 3 half-marathon and am a very keen runner so I made a 12 week training plan which consisted mostly of running but also a bit of strength training and yoga. Yoga is amazing because I have really tight hips and as a result, my hips are fine.  After the Cardiff half marathon last October, my left hip was in agony and I couldn’t run again until February and I had to see a physio. No amount of training could have prepared me for Tough Mudder. The ‘Artic Enema’ was scarier than skydiving.  I jumped into deep, ice-filled water then had to swim underneath a skip thing.  It was pitch black and I wasn’t sure if there was still anything above me so kept swimming. When I emerged I could barely breath it was so cold.  Falling from monkey bars into deep cold water shortly after was the equivalent of a hot bath in comparison.

Even if running and army style obstacles isn’t your thing, I would really suggest you look into it.  The sense of achievement after is almost overwhelming and if you do it in a team, I can’t imagine how much that bring you closer together as you help each other scale 8 foot walls and greased-up half-pipes.  Seriously, check it out.  Tough Mudder takes place all over the world and supports Help The Heroes.

A well deserved bath
A well deserved bath

What have you done that fills you with pride?  Would you or have you ever done a similar event?

BlogLovin  Twitter

14 thoughts on “Tough Mudder!

• September 29, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Helen, you are tough. And kudos to you for completing this all alone. I have never done anything like this and not sure if I could. Swimming in the dark – not something I think I would enjoy.

• September 30, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Thanks. I appreciate all your comments. The whole team spirit of the event made it very enjoyable so whilst you may not be thinking "ooh swimming in ice water sounds fun", the sense of achievement after makes it so worth it.

It's definitely a team event and you can do it if you put your mind to it. On YouTube there are videos of people doing all the obstacles with missing limbs and a few weeks ago a lady did it in a wheelchair. Truly inspirational!

• September 30, 2013 at 3:15 pm

I will check out the Youtube videos. Thanks.
      And maybe I might also gather some courage and do this someday.

• October 6, 2013 at 6:55 pm

It was the most grueling thing I've ever, ever done and can't wait to do it again. You should look into it. There are loads of similar ones too like Warrior Adrenaline Race and Mud Runner.

• October 6, 2013 at 6:31 pm

That sounds incredible. Well done you for finishing it! I'm gonna look into it and maybe try..
    Adela x

Misspinkstyle.net

• October 6, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Thank you ^^ I'm very proud. Like I said in another reply, there are loads of similar events such as Warrior Adrenaline Race, Mud Runner and Tough Guy. Do it do it do it! The sense of achievement after is incredible.

• October 7, 2013 at 6:05 pm

I only found out about Tough Mudder a few months ago and I'd love to do it! I'm not a fan of running but i like the idea of the obstacles. However that ice pool sounds awful, i hate being underwater, argh!! I think I'd need to do it a team for the moral support, well done you! xx

• October 7, 2013 at 9:30 pm

There are loads of similar events. Zest magazine do an annual 'zest girls bog adventure' a nice obstacle race that's only a few miles and not quite as extreme but still a fun team event.

• October 8, 2013 at 3:53 pm

WOAH. This is incredible! I'd heard of Tough Mudder but was never really sure what it entailed.
    What an achievement, congratulations!!!
    Rosie x | Every Word Handwritten

• October 10, 2013 at 10:29 pm

There are very few feelings better than a bubble bath after a lot of exercise!