To celebrate the end of Chocolate Week, here is a recipe I recently found in a Women’s Running magazine. Fruit, chocolate and packed full of protein. What more could you want?
- 200 dark chocolate – The darker the better. At least 75% cocoa solids
- 5 free range eggs – Seperated
- 250g ground almonds
- Zest of 1 orange – I used satsumas
- 100g coconut sugar
- 125g dairy free butter
- 70g chocolate vegan protein powder – I used 3 tbsp cocoa powder and about 60g plain soya/pea protein.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C
2. Melt the chocolate, sugar and butter slowly in a pan until the sugar has dissolved and the chocolate has melted.
|Mixing and melting away|
3. Remove from heat and beat in the almonds, protein powder and egg yolks until smooth
4. Whisk the egg whites until stiff.
5. Fold egg whites into the chocolate mix.
6. Pour into a greased and lined 9 inch round cake tin.
9. Decorate with berries, dust with icing sugar and serve.
Nutritional Values (Per serving):
12.8g Saturated fat
Whilst relatively high in fat and sugar, compared to your standard chocolate cake this is much better. The coconut sugar in this cake is better than regular refined white sugar and it is high in protein which will help keep you feeling full and aid muscle recovery. Plus this cake is so rich and filling you will only want a tiny bit at a time.
Have you got any “healthy” alternative recipes to share? How did you celebrate chocolate week?