Switching Plastic Toothbrushes for Bamboo, The Humble Co

*Not a sponsored post. I just think reducing plastic is super important*
We are all aware about the huge environmental issue that is plastic. If you aren’t, I highly recommend David Attenborough’s Blue Planet II. Plastic everywhere, unavoidable and filling up our oceans.
I am a huge believer in little steps making a big difference. By replacing everyday plastic items like toothbrushes with eco-friendly ones, together we can make a difference.
Bamboo Toothbrush, The Humble Co
Bamboo Toothbrush, The Humble Co

I asked on Twitter about bamboo toothbrushes. One of Mica’s (from Mica Days blog) suggestion was Humble Brush by The Humble Co I saw this brand in Holland & Barrett so grabbed one to test out.

I change my toothbrush every 3 months. So 4 a year, 40 in 10 years. That isn’t going to clear our oceans anytime soon but if my household of 4 switch to bamboo, that’s 160 bits of plastic no longer being used. Every individual together can make an impact.
Oral hygine is the most important form of hygiene to me. I’ve had braces twice, religiously wear my retainer nightly and recently had oral surgery to remove some wisdom teeth. For me, switching to a bamboo brush was quite daunting. Will it clean my teeth as sufficiently?
Cruelty-free toothpaste & Humble Brush
Cruelty-free toothpaste & Humble Brush
Like regular toothbrushes, Humble Brush come in soft and medium bristled brushes, as well as childrens brushes, toothpaste, even chewing gum and dish brushes!
I am a medium kind of girl but accidently purchased a soft one. Since switcing bruses, my teeth feel just as clean as when I was using a plastic one. The soft bristles haven’t been an issue either. The only difference at all is the feel in my hand, as obviously I’m holding smooth wood rather than plastic.
Humble Brushes are eco-friendly, designed by dentists, and profits from toothbrush sales go to The Humble Smile Fundation, supporting various oral health projects for children in need.
These are made out of 100% sustainable and biodegable bamboo and nylon-6 bristles. Non-plastic bristle bamboo brushes do exist from other brands but are sadly not vegan friendly or cruelty-free, as they are made from boar hair.
Would I buy again? Definitely. I don’t feel I have a good enough excuse not to! They are good for the environment, good for my oral hygeine and support charity. Triple win!
Have you tried a bamboo toothbrush? Are you doing anything to reduce your plastic consumption?

31 thoughts on “Switching Plastic Toothbrushes for Bamboo, The Humble Co

• March 10, 2018 at 7:13 pm

Yay for bamboo toothbrushes!! I signed up for a 'subscription' one where you can choose how often they come too which is so cool seeing as it's almost certain I'd never get one in my town.
    Love this post, especially ''160 bits of plastic no longer being used. Every individual together can make an impact.'' – if only everyone had that mindset!

Danielle xo

• March 11, 2018 at 10:48 pm

Thank you. I remember seeing an advert years ago with someone saying "What difference can one person make?" then the camera zooms out and thousands and thousands of people are saying "What difference can one person make?". The answer is a LOT!

• March 11, 2018 at 4:45 pm

Woah, every 3 months?! Maybe I should be replacing mine more often too, I had no idea you should do it so often. I love the idea of an environmentally friendly toothbrush, and this one is even aesthetically pleasing too – I'll definitely be switching from my usual plastic one.
    jenny x | http://www.jennyrosee.com

• March 11, 2018 at 10:49 pm

Dentists recommend every 3 months or until the bristles become all frayed. So for me that's between 3-4 months.

This brand comes in loads of colours and I've even seen rainbow bamboo brushes by other brands.

• March 11, 2018 at 6:35 pm

Lovely idea, specially nowadays that everything is made on plastic and we have to find ways to reduce our consume. I will keep it mind 🙂

• March 11, 2018 at 10:50 pm

Every small change you make can have a huge impact. You may not think you are contributing significantly but when we are all added up together, the difference is massive.

• March 11, 2018 at 7:04 pm

I agree oral hygiene is so important so I love the idea of a much more eco-friendly toothbrush – bamboo. Will need to keep this in mind!

• March 11, 2018 at 10:51 pm

There's so many options in health food shops now and even more online so it's a very easy switch to make.

• March 11, 2018 at 8:55 pm

I love the aesthetic look of the bamboo toothbrush, and that it supports charity! I will have to try this out sometime. 🙂

• March 11, 2018 at 10:52 pm

Supporting children's charities is a huge added bonus to a charity already helping the world. I love them!

• March 11, 2018 at 9:13 pm

Interesting how we recycle plastic packaging in our family but never thought of reducing waste by toothbrushes? I too have braces now and have already gone through so many brushes and counting… Will definitely give these a try. Would you say their soft is too soft or just gentle enough to not cause bleeding?

• March 11, 2018 at 10:53 pm

Definitely soft enough to look after your gums. I'm used to medium bristles and thought I'd have to use loads of pressure to get a good clean but didn't need to.

• March 11, 2018 at 9:21 pm

We have read different posts about bamboo toothbrush. Oral hygiene is so important and if you can also help our world even better, it's eco-friendly!
    Going to buy one!!

• March 11, 2018 at 10:54 pm

It's great that they are becoming more popular and talked about across different media. I doubt I would have heard of bamboo brushes otherwise.

• March 11, 2018 at 9:51 pm

This is interesting. I haven't even heard of bamboo toothbrushes. Would definitely be great to make the switch though to help the environment!

• March 11, 2018 at 10:55 pm

I hope you do. There are so many varieties so you are bound to find one to suit your needs.

• March 12, 2018 at 2:47 am

I love finding ways ot reduce plastic, but I'm vegan. Sadly, I couldn't switch to this brush, but I'll be on the look out for alternatives.

• March 13, 2018 at 7:25 am

I am vegan too. There are no animal products with this particular brush, just bamboo and nylon bristles.
      I did warn that OTHER brands use boar hair so if you stick to Humble Brush you'll be fine 🙂

• March 12, 2018 at 9:38 am

Ive been considering bamboo toothbrushes. So great to read a positive review of them. Now fingers crossed they will make heads for electric toothbrushes

• March 13, 2018 at 7:27 am

Apparently bamboo electric toothbrush heads already exist!!! Someone told me yesterday. As soon as I find out the brand I'll let you know.

• March 12, 2018 at 11:49 am

I didn't saw these bamboo toothbrushes in the store yet. I need to check it out it's a great idea.

• March 13, 2018 at 7:28 am

Great! They do the same job as plastic brushes so it's a very easy and effective switch.

• March 12, 2018 at 5:45 pm

I have to get one of those. I recycle all the plastic that I get with the products that I purchase and I use reusable bags when I go shopping so I don't get plastic bags.

• March 13, 2018 at 7:29 am

Thata fantastic! My only problem is I forget all my reusable bags at home so have to carefully balance all my shopping over my arms haha.

• March 13, 2018 at 12:22 pm

I've heard of bamboo toothbrushes are great- I should make the switch!! Thanks for sharing! <3

• March 18, 2018 at 6:23 pm

No problem. Hopefully as they increase in popularity, they will be available in all shops and not just online and health food stores.

• March 18, 2018 at 6:24 pm

I hope you do. I have noticed no difference since switching and they are readily available from health food shops.

• March 18, 2018 at 6:24 pm

It is horrible to think of all the waste we have created over our lives but as soon as we recognise that, we can change that. It may not be possible to live 100% waste free but by changing little things we can make a big difference.