Dealing with Stress using Massage, a Base Formula Review

We all suffer from some form of stress in our daily lives, be that the every day stress of work, family, money to chronic stress that feels almost paralysing. There are different coping mechanisms for different people and one which I believe everyone can benefit from is massage.
Muscle Massage Oil, Base Formula*
A quick science lesson
Stress is your bodies evolutionary fight or flight mechanism, affecting your whole body. The body keeps high levels of fat and sugars readily available. Over time, this results in fat and sugar cravings = weight gain. Muscles tense up and breathing is shortened. The immune system and hormones get suppressed. This is why so many people get ill when they go on holiday. Their bodies are able to relax causing the immune system to start itself back up again.
Lack of sufficient sleep and exercise can cause stress as can certain situations. You may not be able to control those situations, but you can control how you deal with them. Limiting caffeine and sugar, increasing exercise and becoming aware of your stress are all beneficial ways to cope with it.
Over the past couple of months, I have been trying Muscle Massage Oil by Base Formula. It contains sweet almond oil, lavender, clary sage, rosemary and sweet marjoram. Base Formula use only pure essential oils and together these help to relax and warm tight muscles and even act as an anti-depressant. Lavender alone is an anti-inflammatory and good at reducing depression, insomnia and anxiety.
Massage works with the parasympathetic nervous system, reversing the affects of stress. Touch sends signals to your brain saying “this feels nice” and in turn, your muscles relax and breathing deepens. As a massage therapist, I have had chronic stress suffers come to me as a last resort when they have felt conventional medicine has let them down. Over a series of treatments I have seen stress levels drop and sense of wellbeing increase. This makes me so happy to know that what I am doing is making a difference to someones life. You don’t need to be a professional therapist to reap the benefits. Self-massage can be fantastic and there are many videos online to help you with techniques. You could even find a willing partner and do a swap with them.

It is nice to find a massage oil for muscles that doesn’t smell like menthol. This makes it quite multi functional as the relaxing ingredients help highly stressed clients whilst loosening their muscles. A regular client reported that they felt the benefits of the treatment for longer after I used the oil. As for massage, a little oil goes a long way and does not dry out quickly which is great as I am able to spend more time hands-on.
Base Formula create a vast array of products including a skincare range. I am really happy with the oil so I would like to try their face masks and eye gels. I also want to try their Relaxing and Uplifting massage oils too and see what my clients think.
How do you deal with stress? Have you ever had an aromatherapy massage?

18 thoughts on “Dealing with Stress using Massage, a Base Formula Review

• May 31, 2018 at 6:57 pm

Ohhhh I love a good massage, this sounds amazing!

Lon x

just-a-kidd.blogspot.com

• June 8, 2018 at 6:47 pm

Nothing beats a good massage. The only problem I have being a massage therapist is that I cannot massage myself!

• May 31, 2018 at 9:34 pm

Never really used massage oils but I do love lavender and wondered if the oil would work as a bath oil too?

• June 4, 2018 at 1:51 pm

Hi Sanna the Muscles Massage oil can be used in the bath, but as you'll know oil and water don't tend to mix that well, so you'll probably find that the oil sits on the surface in blobs! If you swish it around it will help the oil to disperse a bit better, but please be aware that it will not disperse completely into the water and that you'll need to take care when getting out of the bath as it will make the surfaces slippery. We do sell a fragrance free bath oil base that is especially designed to disperse evenly in the water, so maybe you could consider mixing your favourite essential oils into that. Alternatively you can simply pop a few drops of essential oil into some full fat milk and add that to you bath. The milk will help the oils to disperse! Hope this helps! Kind regards Base Formula

• June 8, 2018 at 6:48 pm

There we have it 🙂 Being vegans though we will have to try with full fat plant milk! I'll let you know how I get along.

• June 8, 2018 at 6:49 pm

I honestly cannot recommend massage enough, especially for mental health problems. It doesn't make your problems go away but it does help your mind relax. I find all my issues are more manageable after a treatment.

• June 8, 2018 at 6:50 pm

Thank you. I have a nerdy obsession with health and wellbeing at the moment. I love knowing the scientific reasons behind how we feel.

• June 3, 2018 at 1:50 pm

Those ingredients sound heavenly! I've never been into massage-related stuff, but it is quite tempting after reading this. Also, I do love the little science lesson in this post ahha – that really does make so much sense as to why people get ill on holiday.
    jenny x | http://www.jennyrosee.com

• June 8, 2018 at 6:52 pm

Thanks! I'm glad you found it educational haha. With massage I think it is all about finding the right therapist. Some people love going to spas and getting fully pampered but others prefer a more clinical setting or home environment. Give it a whirl!

• June 5, 2018 at 5:35 pm

it's incredible what a good massage can do. when I'm super stressed my partner is so lovely and gives my neck/shoulders a good rub.

The ecoLogical

• June 8, 2018 at 6:53 pm

They sound like a keeper. I'm lucky to get a shoulder and foot rub when I ask nicely.

• June 8, 2018 at 6:46 pm

Oh dear! What a thing to be allergic to! I'm sure they do not all contain lavender. Lovely products.

• June 9, 2018 at 10:07 am

Great post! I’m always trying to find ways to de stress & relax. Feel like I’m always stressing.. This sounds so good. I haven’t had a massage because I don’t like the idea of people touching me ha.
    Siobhan ~ http://www.veganbabelife.co.uk