Meeting The Animals At Dean Farm Trust

Dean Farm Trust
Dean Farm Trust
Having a good sniff and lick of my niece.
Having a good sniff and lick of my niece.
Tom having his physio
Tom having his physio

On the tour we met Thomas the Shetland pony. He suffers from “Shetland shoulder”, incurable shoulder dysphasia, so he does daily physio exercises. I was lucky enough to bump into him to watch him do his stretches.

Checking out his visitors.
Checking out his visitors.
TV “entertainment”

Some of you may have heard of or seen the TV series “Meat the Family”. Meat the Family is a series featuring families raise animals then decide to send them to slaughter or to a sanctuary and go vegetarian. What a disgusting idea for entertainment! Lucky in a recent episode, the family decided to go veggie and give their cows to a sanctuary. Guess which sanctuary?

Whilst I do not have a photo, the calves were taken on by Dean Farm Trust and named Clover and Buttercup. These lucky boys will live out their entire natural lives surrounded by compassion and care. It’s these stories and encounters that remind me why I am vegan.

My favourite part of the day was hand feeding these beautiful ladies.
My favourite part of the day was hand feeding these beautiful ladies.
How You Can Help

Dean Farm Trust are by far one of my favourite charities. The founder Mary Frankland is awe inspiring. She runs the charity and is active in local issues. I bumped into her at a protest outside our local council office about a local puppy farmer. Busy lady!

If you wish to help, there are various ways to donate (or even volunteer). You can sponsor an animal, buy things from their shop or my favourite method of donation, buying things from their Amazon wishlist. The most fun way is to visit an open day or volunteer.

Have you visited Dean Farm Trust or any other kind of animal sanctuary?

Bloglovin’ | Twitter |
Instagram |

11 thoughts on “Meeting The Animals At Dean Farm Trust

• February 1, 2020 at 7:37 pm

I wish there were more places like these. I think it would encourage more people to think about these kinds of animals as conscious beings, rather than commodities. Near where I live in Manchester we have a donkey sanctuary though, which is lovely and always busy.

• May 26, 2020 at 8:02 pm

I love donkeys! For my birthday years and years ago my family took me to a local horse sanctuary. That was great fun.

• February 1, 2020 at 7:40 pm

Such a cute selfie!!!

• February 2, 2020 at 1:36 am

My son would love this. He’s obsessed with farm animals. I’d love the opportunity to learn about vegan options. I’ve been eating more plants and haven’t really had a taste for meat.

• February 2, 2020 at 12:13 am

Chickens are so precious. They are sentient beings and should be loved, cherish, and treasured. When I use to live in Toccoa, Georgia back in 2008, I met a family down the road that had a pet chicken. The chicken was so intelligent, he would walk towards me when I would call him by his name. It looks like you had a wonderful time. So cute.

• February 2, 2020 at 3:00 pm

Aww, this sounds like a lovely place! What a horrible tv show though! Let’s hope that shows like that will not exist anymore in the future.

• May 26, 2020 at 8:01 pm

It is a strange concept for a TV show. I suppose at least it might make viewers think more about the animal they are eating.

• May 24, 2020 at 3:26 pm

This place sounds lovely, I love your pictures!
    I’ve got a sanctuary near to me which I love visiting, I rescued my cat from there too.

• May 26, 2020 at 8:00 pm

Ah thats cool. There are animal rescue centres nearby too but this sanctuary is already the animals forever homes.

• May 31, 2020 at 6:35 pm

I love these pictures so cute! I haven’t visited a farm in ages you forgot how exciting it is!