Top 5 Plant Parenting Tips with Eddington House Nursery

I love love love plants! I have grown up gardening and have grown spider plants for a few years now, giving away their babies as birthday presents. There are currently three adult spider plants in my room!
There is always room for more plants though, especially when they make your living space so healthy by purifying the air. Plus I feel they bring a sense of calm and tranquillity, helping with my mental health.

1. The Right Pot

I am quite new to raising succulents so it is great to have a whole variety to grow. The hunt for the perfect plant trough continues. It is important to pot the plants on as their tiny pots will restrict their roots, so they won’t be able to grow up to be big and strong. Drainage is also important as water pooling in the bottom could drown the plant.
I plan on making a super cute indoor ornamental garden.

2. Compost

To be the best plant parent possible, I did some research on how not to kill them (post-murdering two incident). Eddington House Nursey have the perfect beginners guide, from how long succulents live (some up to 300 years!!!), to what kind of compost they need.
They recommend certain mixes of composts but to save me time, I just bought a bag of specialist compost. However, you can mix 50/50 multipurpose with pumice, potting grit or pine bark if you have the inclination.

Plant Parenting at it's finest
Plant Parenting at it’s finest
3. Sunshine

Succulents originated from super hot, super sunny places. (*Spoiler alert* Not the UK.) As such, they need as much sunlight as Britishly possible. Find a sunny spot in your house and try and position them there, rotating if necessary.

4. Water

Despite coming from desert conditions, they still need water. As a rule I have been barely watering them. When I do, I make sure the soil is completely dry first. Overwatering will lead to an untimely death for your babies so it is best to be more on the side of underwatering.

5. Love

The most important tip of them all. Love. Pets are the new children, plants are the new pets and we all love our pets. Follow the tips above and watch your babies grow!

Are you a proud plant parent? What are your top tips?

Bloglovin’ | Twitter |
Instagram |

*Kindly gifted to me. All thoughts and opinions my own.

17 thoughts on “Top 5 Plant Parenting Tips with Eddington House Nursery

• March 26, 2021 at 10:06 am

I know so little about looking after plants well – which is probably one of the reasons mine always die. This was a really interesting read – and I absolutely love the last point x

• March 26, 2021 at 5:04 pm

I am very hit and miss with plants. They either thrive or rapidly die.

• March 26, 2021 at 10:27 am

I’d love to get into having plants in my house!! This post is great and I love how small and cute the succulents are x

• March 26, 2021 at 5:04 pm

I am hoping they will all grow up big and strong and not die hahah. Wishful thinking.

• March 26, 2021 at 11:19 am

Omg these plants are so adorable! I am awful at looking after plants, but thank you for sharing these tips x

• March 26, 2021 at 5:03 pm

They are so cute! I can’t wait to see them grow up into adult plants.

• March 26, 2021 at 12:15 pm

Sunlight and loads of love work the best! I had so many issues with over watering, so now I got on a schedule and stick to it, also misting them with a spray works wonders as well as nice words, I know it might sound crazy! Thank you for sharing x

• March 26, 2021 at 5:03 pm

Keeping a schedule is a really good idea. I might start adding it into my diary.

• March 26, 2021 at 1:19 pm

I love my plants! I have several indoor plants and am excited now that it’s spring to get more outdoor plants as well. I’d love to start my compost one day!

• March 26, 2021 at 5:02 pm

I was reading about creating compost and starting a worm farm. Very interesting but I don’t think I have the time.

• March 26, 2021 at 3:22 pm

This was really helpful! I have a terrible black thumb and have even managed to kill the unkillable in the past: succulents and cacti. It’s so sad! But I’d like to give plants a try again in the future, so I appreciate these tips 🙂

• March 26, 2021 at 5:02 pm

Black thumb. Never hear that phrase before hahaha. I definitely wouldn’t say I have a green thumb.